Fireworks Safety, From a Doctor

Fireworks Safety, From a Doctor

“Don’t do it.” Is what most doctors recommend however, fireworks are one of many Americans’ favorite parts of summer. The only safe way to enjoy fireworks is to leave it to the pros and attend a public display. But, many people also love to shoot off their own. Shooting them off is a risky activity. Fireworks can cause serious burns and injuries, even death. It is extremely important that we do everything we can to deal with fireworks safely.

Path to improved safety

Know your fireworks. Only buy fireworks from a licensed fireworks dealer. Read the instructions carefully so you know what each firework will do. Some, like fountains, sit on the ground and shoot sparks into the air. Others are held in the hand and shoot flaming balls into the air. These are less predictable and are more likely to malfunction. Know what the firework is going to do before you light it.

After you learn what you can set off and have learned about what you purchased, follow the following tips to keep you and your loved ones safe when fireworks are present.

Never give fireworks to children. This includes sparklers. Sparklers burn at a temperature around 2,000 degrees. That’s hot enough to melt metal. They can easily burn and injure a child.

Always have a responsible adult supervising fireworks activities.

Light fireworks in a clear outdoor area, away from trees, buildings, or cars.

Wear safety glasses or protective eyewear when shooting fireworks.

Don’t carry fireworks in your pocket. The friction could set them off.

Don’t light fireworks in containers, especially metal or glass ones.

Stand far away from other people when lighting a firework. They can backfire or go in the wrong direction.

Don’t lean over a firework while you are lighting it. Reach out away from your body to light it.

Light one firework at a time. Move back quickly to a safe distance right away.

Never point or throw fireworks at other people.

Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose nearby in case there is a fire or other mishap.

Never relight a “dud” firework that doesn’t go off. Douse it in water and throw it in the trash.

After fireworks are done burning, douse them in water. Dispose of them in a metal trashcan to prevent a trash fire.

Things to consider

Don’t forget your pets! You need to keep them safe when lighting off fireworks, as well.

Don’t take your pets to a fireworks display. This includes small displays or neighborhood gatherings.

Put your pet in an interior room away from windows. This will dampen the sound of the fireworks.

Make sure your pet is wearing a collar and identification tags. If it runs off during a fireworks display, it will be easier to find.

Never shoot any kind of firework, including sparklers, near pets.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.